Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Tombstone Tuesday: John A. Schoonover

John A. Schoonover
1866-1961
Photo by Brian Zoldak, 2016, used with permission

Information at Find a Grave
I am going to write these first two blog posts out of order of the two Brown plots because this married couple is the reason that I went seeking these gravestone in the first place. When I read that John A. Schoonover was a pall bearer at my maternal uncle's funeral, I did not know who he was.

I asked my friend Jane Preston (since she used to live in Mystic) if she knew of him and she told me that this couple was very active in the Denison Society. Since I own the 1963 edition of the complied Descendants of George Denison, I started at the pages in the beginning of the book where the officers and board of trustees are written and sure enough, there is his name.

John was not my direct descendant but his wife was my 2nd cousin 2x removed. This couple was childless. John was a stock broker and a member of the Congregational Church.

It was nice of him to be available to be a pallbearer at my uncle's funeral. It must have been an awful day. 

No comments: