Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Tombstone Tuesday: Frederic Denison


Photo by Brian Zoldak, 2016, used with permission
Photo by Brian Zoldak, 2016, used with permission


There are many men buried in this cemetery (Elm Grove Cemetery, Mystic, CT) that are named Fredric Denison but the rest of them are buried in the Denison plot and not within the circle of this "Brown" plot. I call this Brown Plot 1.

Fortunately, this Frederic Denison is identified on the back of this headstone as the son of Isaac Wheeler Denison and his wife Eunice B. (Eunice Eldridge BURROWS) He was already in my family tree because he is my first cousin 3x removed. The Burrows genealogy lists both his upline Denison and Burrows lineage. 

Frederic went into business with his father in the mercantile business in Mystic, named I.W. Denison. Isaac Wheeler Denison was the brother of my 2nd great grandmother, Eliza Fish Denison, wife of Dudley W. Stewart. 

It was great to read that Frederic took over the business in Mystic when his father died in 1895 and that he was an incorporator and trustee of Groton Savings Bank.

Frederic died in 1935. My great grandparents and grandparents knew this couple.

No comments: